Recipes

Saturday 23 March 2013

Preparation of Grains

I would like to share with you what I have learned about how to prepare grains, as I run into so many people who are surprised when I tell them that they shouldn't eat raw grains!
 I'd like to quote from a book that I have found so informative and helpful - Nourishing Traditions by Sally Felon & Mary G. Enig, Ph.D.

"All grains contain phytic acid (an organic acid in which phosphorus is bound)  in the outer layer or bran.  Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption.  This is why a diet high in unfermented whole grains may lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss.  The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects.  Soaking allows enzymes, lactobacillli, and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid.  As little as seven hours of soaking in warm acidulated water will neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains.  The simple practice of soaking cracked or rolled cereal grains overnight will vastly improve their nutritional benefits."

The protein in grains is difficult to digest, and the typical north american diet containing a lot of grains puts a huge strain on the digestive system.  This can result in allergies, celiac disease, chronic indigestion, and even mental illness.
I know from my own experience, that when I eat grains that have not been soaked or sprouted, especially glutenous grains, because I can't digest them the effect on my brain after eating makes me feel like I'm going crazy or on a "high"!  When I soak them, I don't have this problem.

I used to have this kind of reaction to quinoa, for instance.  But since I started sprouting the whole grain before I cook it and eat it, I can enjoy a bowl of quinoa for breakfast and feel really well after.

Here's what you do - so simple!
Pour the whole grain into a large sealer leaving room (2 inches or so) at the top as the grain will expand as it absorbs the water.  Fill with filtered water and stir will a long spoon to ensure that all the kernels are surrounded with water. Place in the fridge for 48 hours.  Check a few times during the 48 hours to see if more water is needed and add water if necessary.  At the end of the 48 hours the grains will have sprouted even though they won't have a tail on them like you would see when you sprout seeds such as alfalfa.  The germination process has begun, the enzyme inhibitors have been neutralized and the nutritional content has increased significantly.

Transfer to a strainer and rinse with filtered water.  I like to then measure the grain (in this case, quinoa) into serving portions in little bags and freeze for convenience.  I find that 1/3 cup is the right amount for my breakfast, so that's how much I put into each little snack-sized ziplock bag and I write on the bag how much is in it.  When I go to cook the quinoa, I add 2/3 cup water, for 1/3 cup quinoa, and a dash each of salt and cinnamon.  Grains that have been sprouted take less water when you cook them.

Check out how to prepare nuts and seeds on another blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback! I will get back to you within the next 48 hours.

Printfriendly