Recipes

Saturday 23 March 2013

Gluten Free Apple Pear Crisp

Gluten Free Apple Pear Crisp
As I look out my window this morning in Calgary, Alberta and see the snow blowing around, I think about making food that comforts, soothes and warms.  What could be more comforting in the middle of a cold winter than hot apple crisp?


Ah, but you can't have gluten.  Well, my friend, neither can I, but that is not going to keep me from enjoying such simple pleasures.  However, I'm determined to find ways of making desserts healthier and lower on the glycemic index because I care about the health of my friends and family, and not just my own.  I've said it before, but I refuse to eat the gluten-free baking in the stores because it's high glycemic and devoid of nutrients and fibre.  Oats are naturally gluten-free, but they can be contaminated.

God bless the people that came out with "Only Oats" !

So, here's the recipe:

Filling:
 

3 to 4 baking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (⅛-inch thick) and a few pears, thinly sliced as well
2 to 4 tablespoons agave nectar or coconut nectar
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (not bottled)
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Topping: (If you want to spread it out in a larger pan, then I recommend that you double the topping.)
 

1 ½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
½ cup sweet rice flour
½ to ¾ cup coconut sugar*
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup melted virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


*A note about coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is a low glycemic granulated sweetener with a glycemic index of 35. Compare that to honey of 75, agave nectar of 30, pure maple syrup of 54, or sugar (sucrose) of 95. Coconut sugar or coconut palm sugar as it is also called is made from the dried sap of the coconut palm blossom.  Coconut sugar can be substituted 1 for 1 in baking.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.



Prepare the filling ahead of time by placing the arrowroot powder and cinnamon in a mug or small measuring cup, then adding the agave or coconut nectar and lemon juice. Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice,  as the other kind will give the crisp an unpleasant taste!

Prepare the topping now, before slicing the apples.  The less time the apples are left to brown the better.  In a small mixing bowl stir together the oats, rice flour, sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt.  Melt the oil gently over a low flame—do not overheat!  Add the oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients and stir together with a fork.  Slice the apples into a 7x11 inch baking pan, almost filling to the top as the apples will cook down, and then drizzle the filling over them.  Gently stir together with a large spoon.  With your hands, crumble the topping evenly over the filling.


Bake for about 40 minutes or until the juices are bubbling up and the topping is lightly browned.

Serve warm, with or without vanilla ice cream.  My kids said it was  "hot as summer, cold as winter" when they had it with ice cream.  I can't eat dairy, so I buy the kind made from coconut milk. 

Enjoy!

Note:  I modified this recipe from one I found on www.nourishingmeals.com They have a wonderful collection of gluten-free recipes!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback! I will get back to you within the next 48 hours.

Printfriendly