Recipes

Saturday 23 March 2013

Flourless Carob Cake





I'm determined to make treats for my family and friends that are healthy AND delicious.  I would also like to be able to enjoy it with them.  Now that's a challenge when I can't have gluten.  But, believe it or not, my guests would never know that this was gluten-free.  In fact, it has no flour at all.
  I don't eat it very often because I feel better being dairy-free, but I sure savor it when I do.  I have to give credit where it's due and say that I didn't invent this recipe.  Not all the recipes I share are mine, and when they're not I'll tell you.   I found this one in the cookbook "Nourishing Traditions" by Mary G. Enig and Sally Fallon.  This is a delicious, moist and rich cake - indistinguishable from chocolate (well, almost).

Here's what you'll need:

3/4 cup carob powder (I use "roasted" carob)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp chocolate extract (optional - I don't use this)
5 egg yolks, at room temperature
1/2 cup rapidura (I use cane or demerara sugar)
5 egg whites, at room temperature
pinch of sea salt
1 cup carob sauce (recipe to follow)

Butter and flour (I use rice or other fluten-free flour) two easy-remove 9-inch cake pans. 

Place butter, carob powder, water and extracts in a glass jar set in a pan of water over a low flame.  Melt and blend well.


 
In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.


Beat egg yolks with sugar for about 5 minutes with the electric beater.  Mix carob mixture with egg yolk mixture and then fold into egg whites.


Divide the batter between the two pans. (Here's a tip: if you line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, it comes out easily after baking.)
 
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.



Remove one layer to a serving dish and spread with yogurt cheese  mixed with a little maple syrup or honey. (Strain yogurt through a cheesecloth the day before to make the cheese.)  Top with the other layer and frost with carob sauce.  Decorate with fresh fruit.  Another variation I like when decorating with raspberries and mint leaves is to substitute "no-sugar-added" raspberry jam for the yogurt filling.



Enjoy!

Carob Sauce: (Makes 2 1/2 cups -I use half a recipe for a cake)

2/3 cup carob powder
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp chocolate extract (optional)
pinch of sea salt
1 cup cream


Place all ingredients in the top of a double boiler.  Cook gently, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until well amalgamated.



Source:  Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon & Mary Enig

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback! I will get back to you within the next 48 hours.

Printfriendly