Recipes

Sunday 2 November 2014

Gingery Squash Soup (GF, DF NSF)


This is a lovely winter warm-up soup!  I didn't invent the recipe - it was generously given to me by the owner of a little café in Ontario where I used to live.  I had asked her to tell me what all was in it and was so delighted that I could eat it (given all my food sensitivities), that she wrote out the recipe for me!  I've tried to find the little café since, but it's gone.  Anyway, it's too good to keep to myself.


Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter*
1 cup chopped onions
2-3 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
8 cups chicken broth (if you don't have any on hand you can use store bought organic)
4 tbsp lime juice


*If you can't tolerate dairy (like me), you can use olive oil, just be sure to keep the heat on medium or lower so you don't destroy the good fat with heat.

Sauté the onions, ginger and garlic in the butter until soft.  Add broth and squash and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the squash is cooked.

Purée in a blender, a little at a time, or blend right in the pot with a Bamix.  Add the lime juice, and if your tastebuds demand it, salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback! I will get back to you within the next 48 hours.

Printfriendly